Thursday, March 25, 2010

Introducing Alanah Krueger of Yarn Plus Yarn

I am so excited to introduce Alanah Krueger. She agreed to give an interview on knitting. Alanah owns the Yarn Plus Yarn store on Etsy with her sister Emily. Together they create wonderful items like the one below:

yarnplusyarnThis is their Cowl/Neck warmer in moss green, one of the many fabulous items that these ladies create.

DGC got to sit down with Alanah today for a little one on one interview (via email).

DGC: How old were you when you first started knitting?

AK: I learned to knit when I was 15.

DGC: How did you get into knitting?

AK: My older sister Emily taught herself to knit and I loved all the projects she was working on. Plus, I was determine to make a purse with a cable running down the front. That was the main reason I started knitting. When I finally got the hang of it, I loved it so much that I branched out and started making other things too.

DGC: What are your all time favorite and least favorite projects?

AK: That's tough to answer. I don't really have a least favorite project. If I don't enjoy making it, I don't make it! . Lately, my favorite project has been making wrist warmers.

DGC: What do you feel is your biggest accomplishment as a knitter?

AK: Learning how to knit! I have to be honest, it was one of the hardest skills I have ever learned. I got so frustrated and I wanted to give up SO many times! But I am the most stubborn person ever, and I really wanted to make that purse. So after months of trying, one day I just got it.

DGC: What lead you to create an online store?

AK: I started a jewelry store a few years ago and it was a lot of fun, but since jewelry is the most popular thing on Etsy, I felt like I wasn't getting much exposure and it was too hard to try and put up a new item every day. So I went back to my first love, which was knitting and crocheting. My sister Emily and I were on a camping trip when we dreamed about opening a combined Etsy shop. After that I couldn't get the dream out of my head and a month later we were open for business!

DGC: What inspires you most in the realm of knitting?

AK: Other knitters really inspire me. Everyone has such different tastes and visions and it's so inspiring to see the different things that people can create.

DGC: What prompted you to start a blog?

AK: I have always loved writing and since the invention of Google Reader, I have been in love with all the different blogs out there. Plus, I really enjoy Etsy shops where I feel like I know not only the product, but the person behind it. As a huge plus, I have made friendships because of my blog and met people that I might not otherwise have come in contact with.

DGC: What would you say to a person who was just starting out with knitting?

AK: Don't give up! It may be super hard at first and difficult to get used to, but with time and persistence, you will get it! Determination and stubbornness is key. Once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless of what you can create with your hands and some needles.

I had a wonderful time getting to know Alanah. Along with her sister Emily, they have a real unique store with lots of fabulous accessories for a real great price. Yarn Plus Yarn is a great find. Be sure to check it out. I know you will love it!

Thank you Alanah for “meeting” with DGC today. We wish you and your sister the best of luck with your store.

2 comments:

YarnPlusYarn said...

Thanks so much Cori!

Cori and Dennis said...

You are welcome. I had fun doing it :o)