Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Thanksgiving Turkey in Spring...

Well, I had a craving for the turkey that I make for Thanksgiving. So, I went to Winco and bought a bird. Not a large one, but one that fed both my parents and Dennis and I with enough meat for the following day. It was soooo good. I don't know why I don't cook the Thanksgiving turkey more often.

After getting all the extra meat off of the carcass for left overs, Dennis put the remainder of what was left into a huge pot for me. So I boiled it for a couple of hours. I wanted to make soup since I had ran out. I love making soup. It makes your house smell sooo good. Not only that, but it makes like 6 or 7 mason jars full of soup that I freeze for later. Oh so good.

I called my aunt for advise on how to proceed on making the stalk for soup. She then proceeded to tell me a little trick to add to the soup. She said that it would really boost the soup if I had grilled some onions in olive oil with Cumin and Coriander. She said to add more seasoning than what would be expected so that it will flavor the soup more. Oh man, it smelled so good.

I scooped off the excess fat, de-boned the soup, added 3 pounds of veggies, a box of instant brown rice and grilled onions. Oh man, my house smells so delicious. I can't wait to eat my soup. On days like today, soup is an excellent idea. It's cold and rainy here. I like to stay tucked in on days like this with a big bowl of hot soup.

Well, I am off to "can" my soup. Write again later...

No comments: