Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, New Projects

It's 2010. Do you say "Twenty Ten" or "Two Thousand Ten" or what??? Just don't say "Oh Ten." That would sound lame. So it's a new year. That means new ideas, right? I hope so. My goal for 2010 is to get new items made. One of the "major" projects I am currently working on is the designing of my very first pattern.

I have a friend at church that wanted a smaller tote bag for their trip. She is rather petite in stature so the usual bags out there look ginormous on her. So I got to work on thinking up how I am to do this. Then it hit me. I finished up the bag and showed it off to some friends and family before turning the bag over to her. They loved. I immediately got 2 orders for it. Wow! That's fast! So I whipped those out and got to thinking...I wonder if people would be interested in buying a pattern.

I have never written a pattern before. Is there some big secret on how to do this? I have used patterns hundreds of times. Looks easy enough. Yeah, it's not. I didn't realize that I had been constantly revising and improving the old pattern. Oh snap! One night, I sit down and bang it out on my keyboard. Then there were the read throughs. You really should never edit your own stuff. Your brain fills in whats missing. Not good.

I have the pattern 99% complete. There are a few test crocheters out there, testing my pattern. Then all I need to do is add some pictures of the finished product. I always hated it when you get a pattern and there are no pictures. There is no way to compare your work to theirs, or for that matter attempt to figure out a tricky part if they had left out a key piece of the pattern. I won't do that to you!

I hope to get the new pattern up on Etsy and Ravelry. I should probably put it up here too. I hope that once it is completed, people will want to buy it. Maybe I should figure out a knitted pattern for it for the people who don't crochet. Hmmmmm...

No comments: